04 January, 2012

Background Tutorial for Bugaboo

It is Tutorial Wednesday over at Bugaboo and today it is my turn to share with you. I sat down with my 13 year old Granddaughter last week and we pulled out the watercolors and different papers, some salt and rubbing alcohol and had some fun. When all was said and done I had some cool background papers and thought I could share the technique with you. Here are the finished cards. I used Jodie's Image Beautiful Blocks-Thoughts and Prayers.

The first thing I did was print off the two images. The top one I colored with Copics and then put a coat of goosebumps over the image only. For the second one I sprayed the piece with goosebumps very unevenly.
 If you can get ahold of some of this you will love it. The piece under the bottle is sprayed with Goosebumps and then Colorwash and Tattered Angels.

 I flicked the alcohol  on the wet paint while it was still wet.
The goosebumps creates a resist and the alcohol pushes the paint around. It is magic. And fun, just to play.
When this was completely dry I colored the image with my Copics.
This is a piece of watercolor paper that I sprayed first with water then added watercolors and spattered on alcohol and then some salt here and there.
 Here is a close up of the paper painted and alcohol splattered first and then salt added.
 After it dries use your fingers to rub off the salt.
 Look at that wonderful pattern that it makes.
For the second piece I had to work faster so that the piece did not dry in between adding all the colors. I worked on the larger left side first.
You can see where the alcohol makes the spatters and pushes the paint away. We did discover that it works best on darker colors with a lot of pigment in them.

 The goosebumps on the image works as a resist so you don't have to be overly careful when applying paint.
 When everything was dry and finished I sprayed a layer of Perfect Pearls Mist on these two pieces.
 Here are the 4 pieces when they are dry and ready to go into the finished product.


I hope you give this a try and share with me. Just leave a comment here with a link to your blog or gallery. I would love to know how your project turns out. Remember to play and experiment and have fun. You will have a lot of fun I hope.






Pin It

4 comments:

tt.scraps said...

WOW!! That is sooo neat! Did you print the images on watercolor paper...or what paper did you use? Thanks for the tutorial!

Crafty Loops said...

What a fantastic technique with amazing results. I'll have to get myself some Goosebumps. Lee x

sgc said...

Melissa--this is beautiful--AND looks like a lot of fun!

Becky G said...

Great tutorial Melissa! Your backgrounds are amazing and your card is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!